Monday, July 9, 2012

A Rough Week Turned to Pure Bliss

It's been a really rough week in the pet department for the Haddad home.

Sadly, our cat Rudy hasn't been seen since the evening of the 1st. We've looked everywhere, gone to the local SPCA, and talked to neighbours and nothing.  She's only ever been out of the house over a 12 hour span and is quick to come in when called so this certainly isn't in character for her. We don't know what's happened to her but we can quickly guess the probable reasoning and its not a good one. 


Rudy when we first got her back in December 2009 at the age of 3.
Saturday I started cleaning up all the cat stuff; litter box, food, toys, etc. and suddenly found that I had a child overwhelmed and in tears over the worry and loss of Rudy.  Truthfully I have to admit that with all the pets I've had growing up (either family pet or personal pet) I've never found myself so attached that I'd be devastated.  A little foreign (but not heartless) to me with all the emotions this child was feeling the question became is it too soon to get a new cat?  Do we want to replace Rudy?  The child said that a new pet was needed and Les gave the thumbs up and before I knew it the kids and I had already gone to the SPCA 3 times in one day!!

That evening our dinner conversation revolved around what kitten to get.  There were 7 adorable kittens but what a choice to decide which one would be the best for us?  As the conversation excitedly continued on I proceeded to feed the fish only to realize as I got to the tank that they were ALL dead.  The fish tank thermometer decided to spike up to 95 degrees and basically fried the fish!  We started the fish tank a couple months after we moved to Maple Ridge and some of those fish have lived that long - 6 years and gone just like that.  We've definitely decided no more fish.

After managing a 24 hour period of owning no pets we became pet owners again.... 

Meet Elroy and Sylvester, 2 month old kittens


Elroy exhausted crashed sound asleep in this awkward position

Sylvester, the quieter kitten of the two but still with plenty of personality
 Questioning two kittens?  That would be Les's idea.  When we explained the different pairs of siblings at the SPCA he felt maybe it would be best to adopt siblings that way they'd be together and would keep each other busy and out of trouble (hopefully).  So far that thought seems to be working.  Everyone is LOVING these cute little guys!

During this experience I questioned whether having had 4 cats in an 8 year period was horrible?  The answer.  Only one has gone missing.  So I guess we haven't done so bad?  As much as we'd love to have Freddy join our family again (the first kitten we ever got) we know he didn't like it when we first brought him to the city and he still wouldn't, the country is definitely for him!

The kids visiting Freddy last month at Grandma & Grandpa Haddad's

No comments: