June is Pride month. Two years ago, the LGBTQ community became a larger part of my life and at the same time I hit a faith crisis - hard. It was overwhelming. I could not understand how I could be true to my faith AND be an ally to the LGBTQ community. I need both. We all have the right to have faith in a higher being should we choose, but that doesn’t give us the right to judge anyone, to treat each other unkindly and sometimes with such cruelty! There is a line in a church song that constantly comes to mind, ‘Jesus said love everyone, treat them kindly too…” I do know that we have a God that loves and commands us to love. The LGBTQ community has taught me we shouldn’t expect anyone to apologize for living an authentic self, we all have that right and it isn’t a one size fits all! Its really pretty simple, but our imperfect world just doesn’t get it. Everyone needs to love and be loved. I am an ally!
No comments:
Post a Comment