Sunday, January 7, 2024

Opening Up to Spiritual Growth - Studying the Book of Mormon

Today at church everyone was baring their testimonies of their excitement of the 2024 Come Follow Me program which is studying the Book of Mormon. I concur with them. I'm exciting too!

Our first week of studies was on the introductory pages of the Book of Mormon. This consisted of the title page, testimony of the three witnesses, testimony of the eight witnesses, testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the brief explanation about the book of Mormon.

As I've pondered what I've read this past week what I keep thinking about is Joseph's father. In Prophet Joseph Smith's testimony he speaks of having been taught by the Angel Moroni and after the third visit he went to work but was exhausted and his father noted it and sent him home. He didn't make it all the way home before the Angel appeared to him again and told him to tell his father, among other things. What has impressed me was his fathers response. "He replied to me that it was of God, and told me to go and do as commanded by the messenger." I've thought a lot about that this week. How impressive and how spiritual he must have been to respond to his son as he did.

In addition, the following were great reads:

The Book of Mormon: What Would Your Life Be Like without It? by President Russell M. Nelson. Quote, "We need to feel, deep in "the inmost part" of our hearts, that the Book of Mormon is unequivocally the word of God. We must feel it so deeply that we would never want to live even one day without it."

Our Light in the Wilderness. by President Henry B. Eyring. Quote, "Sometimes we need to look back on our lives to remember how we have been helped on our journey. As we look back, we can feel the Savior's influence again. When the scriptures say, "Remember, remember" (Helaman 5:12), I think they're telling us, "Don't just remember what you once knew or felt; rather, feel that light again.""

No comments: