So......today is the one year mark since I had my bilateral mastectomy and after much research is apparently the day that I can say I'M A 1 YEAR CANCER SURVIVOR!!!! It feels funny to say that considering I only finished treatments 5 months ago but it's standard to count the surgery date as the date the cancer is gone because that is the date its removed (treatment is only a preventative protection).
I really don't want to live my life counting the years as they go by but on the other hand for the next 5 years it's pretty much a must due to the regular check ups I have to go through and really it's not until I hit my 5 year mark that I can say I'm cancer free ('5' seems to be that magical number).
I am so excited to reach this milestone, which in my world is HUGE but nobody remembered so it ended up being kind of a roller coaster day of emotions for me. Really I wasn't expecting balloons, cards, emails or phone calls but I just thought somebody would say something and actually my sweet Aunt Barb did phone a few days back mentioning that I was coming up to one year so really somebody did remember!
I've spent the last few weeks thinking long and hard about what all has happened this past year and what it means to me and I finally had that 'aha' moment (as Oprah calls it). I thought this moment would have happened so much sooner and I've been waiting and waiting but it FINALLY hit!!!! I think a lot of it had to do with going to the Island and visiting my grandpa, dad and step mom....I hadn't seen them since this journey started and as I sat there visiting it finally hit me 'I'm here' and it was such a great moment. I'M HERE. I'M HERE to experience another Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, etc., etc., etc. I'M HERE experiencing life and it feels fantastic!
4 comments:
oh jen!!! I didn't realize one year was counted from the date of the mastectomy ... if it helps, we have been talking about how incredible it is that a year has passed since the surgery!!!
as a note: the incredible part is what you went through and how you handled it!!!!
Yes, hard to believe its already been a year! PLEASE don't worry about it either, really that whole one year mark is confusing to me. Tricia's comment to me was that she remembered but didn't think I'd want to be reminded of it. It's come and gone and the most important thing is that I'm here and healthy again!!
Hey Kiddo!!
You are HERE and a great inspiration to each and everyone of us! you journey was huge. Did not know that surgery was the date to start counting. Happy first year free... and may more to come
hugs and love to you and yours
Diana and the rest of the clan....
Post a Comment