Saturday, January 17, 2009

Random Thought

Sometimes when a thought or idea comes to mind for some reason it is analyzed over and over and over and over and over (get the picture) until I finally get rid of it. I have no idea why this thought is currently in there roaming around wasting much needed brain power so on that note I'm getting rid of it!

I have often wondered why people feel so strongly for the need to pick up and move or travel somewhere extreme to help the less fortunate? It's often watched on TV, read about in magazines, heard about through friends or we may even know of someone actually doing it. I often ask myself WHY do we feel the need to serve others elsewhere and WHAT about those 'in our own backyard'? One doesn't have to look very far to realize how much of an impact they could make in their own community, surrounding communities, province, country, etc.

If I'm sounding judgemental I'm sorry that's not my intention and I DO think people ARE doing a fantastic job wherever they choose to serve. I also realize that our less fortunate may not be as extreme as what we'd find in a third world country BUT they are still struggling and need our help just as much.

To me those serving locally are doing just as an important job as those who have chosen to serve off in another continent! Really the bottom line is that it doesn't matter who or where we choose to serve the less fortunate, just as long as we're doing it with a willing heart!

No comments: