Friday, July 25, 2008

Blubbering Idiot

You know how much I just LOVE showing my emotions (I'm rolling my eyes). This morning was one of those mornings where I TRIED to hide them but there was no way, those tears were coming whether I wanted them to or not (in fact I'm still crying).

There is one week left of school and I always find at this time of year emotions are high for many reasons school is just about done, summer holidays are coming, friends are going to be missed, teachers are going to be missed, etc., etc., etc. So as things are starting to come to an end so are all those routine things like morning reading in Eli's class.

Today was the last morning for parent/child reading and the class had a surprise for the parents. The students lined up in front of the classroom and thanked us all for giving up our time to help them and to help make grade one such a successful year for them. Each child then gave an example of what their parent may have sacrificed to be there reading with them. There were lots of great reasons such as cleaning house, walking, running, yoga, shopping, sleeping, working, etc and then last was Eli with his big smile looking at me said raising money for breast cancer. I think there was an instant ahhhhh across the room (those darn tears are rapidly falling again). We were then served muffins and given a paper flower and card that our children made for us.

Exactly why am I crying? I really don't know. We talk about it and he sees me doing stuff for The Weekend to End Breast Cancer regularly but I guess when I heard it come from my child's mouth it hit home. He sees what I'm doing and he understands. Wow. PLUS today is my first 6 month check up and it just reminds me of how lucky I am to be a survivor and to be a part of wonderful moments like these.

Really I shouldn't be surprised and the other days conversation should have been a clue. I was at the school counting money from the popsicle sales and Eli happened to walk by and asked what we were doing. I told him and he proceeded to ask if the money raised was for my breast cancer. No, I'm at the school its for the school. He figured it was for both. Recently we did a fundraiser for breast cancer and he saw me counting and rolling all the money so I guess when he saw me doing that he automatically put the two together.

My children teach me things all the time and this morning was another one of those great lessons.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Awe bless his little heart! It's amazing what we learn from these little people. Congratulations on your 6 + cancer survival - you're definitely a survivor Jen!