Surgery went very well. There was some difficulty with the right side, which we knew was going to be an issue because that's the side that had radiation treatment (radiation turns the muscle into concrete and so it's very difficult to separate the layers of muscle). There was also some extra stitching needed on the left side to keep the expander from sliding around my rib cage.
I have to admit I hate being knocked out, that whole feeling of being nowhere during surgery is odd to me and uncomforting plus the grogginess afterwards - YUCK. I remember coming to and slowly as I became more alert I also became more aware that I REALLY needed to go the washroom! Did you know there is no washroom in the recovery room?! As soon as my bed was rolled into my ward I was off the bed using the washroom (definitely an incentive to get a patient up and moving right away after surgery)!
My chest was very tight feeling but I was grateful to have a lot more movement with my arms (unlike the bilateral). Really the worst of it was the surgical drains (but I only had 2 this time), it makes healing and moving around very uncomfortable. When I attended my preadmin clinic I was told the drains would be removed before going home so I was very excited but that quickly left me when the morning after surgery my surgeon informed me they'd be going home with me.

What a surgical drain looks like (kind of looks like a hand grenade).
We were very lucky and thankful to have Les's mom spend a week with us cooking, cleaning, shopping, walking the kids to school, etc. It wasn't the easiest thing for her to do but without asking she rearranged care for her own mother (who lives with them) and headed down to give us a helping hand. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU it definitely made recovery a lot easier for all of us and it was definitely a lot less worry for Les.
Of course there is always a worst before the better but once I hit that hurdle there has been no looking back! The drains were finally removed 5 and 7 days after surgery, the chest started loosening up and the incision is healing beautifully. I still haven't tried driving on my own because I know I don't quite have the fast reflexes I may need but over the next couple days I should be able to get behind the wheel. My only complaint (if there should even be one) is that I still can't sleep on my side but this too will soon change and I can't wait!!
Soon it'll be time to continue on with Phase I.......being inflated with saline on a weekly basis. It'll be interesting to watch and feel the expanders grow and maybe a reminder of puberty way back when (mind you at a faster pace)?!
Embarrassingly I do have to admit that I had a day where I felt sorry for myself. Why do we do that (or maybe it's just me)? I quickly reminded myself that there are many others in the world suffering far more and for far worse reasons. We NEED to be grateful. I NEED to remember that I have felt far worse pain BUT most importantly I NEED to remember and be grateful for all my many blessings and for the fact that I'm still here living every day with my beautiful family!
No comments:
Post a Comment