The kids and I spent a couple hours this afternoon helping a lady finish up her Christmas cards, you see she just returned home from the hospital after having a heart attack a few days ago. Our intention was to visit her at the hospital but by the time we got there she was already back at home.
I wanted to express how grateful I am for such awesome teaching experiences I can share with my children. We never planned to do service today the opportunity presented itself to us and we took it. Really when we showed up at her door Christmas cards was not my first thought when asking how we could help.
It might have only been writing Christmas cards, sealing them and putting stickers on envelopes but this lady truly loves to send out cards with a personalized message in each and I know it meant a lot to her that we took the time to help out. I know I was touched by all her beautiful messages individualized to each person and family.
Today at church we were reminded that as we get closer to celebrating the birth of our Saviour to think of the gifts we give and receive and that they can be packaged many different ways. I think my children gave a gift from the heart today that they may not fully understand but that they'll remember for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment