Sunday, April 11, 2010

TOO Scary To Experience Again

A few years back I had written an entry entitled Yipes an Allergic Reaction but to What??. Today's experience took me back to that day but 10 times worse and something I hope and pray I never, never, never have to experience again.

As you may have read in the previous entry we spent the day at the Vancouver Aquarium but the afternoon ended with a bit of drama. While everyone else was enjoying the beach Adrianna and I headed back to the vehicle because she wasn't feeling very good. By the time we made it back to the parking lot she was constantly scratching her back and that's when I noticed her face was a little red. Lifted her shirt to find hives! YIPES!!!!

We hopped in the car in hopes that we'd find the others but of course never found them and proceeded to get stuck in a long single lane of traffic through Stanley Park (the roads are under construction). Of course as we were driving her face was getting redder and redder and more swollen I was PANICKING. I kept having her talk to me all the while I'm sure she thought I was a lunatic! THANKFULLY her airways weren't blocking.

FINALLY back at the parking lot. I swear that drive felt like eternity. Still no signs of the group and no signs of her getting better. Adrianna's hives had extended to up and down her arms, neck, back and belly (later we found out legs too but didn't know at the time). Her arms were so red they were starting to go purple.

I dragged her to the Aquarium figuring we'd get first aid (should have done that in the first place). Yes, they agreed she was experiencing a severe allergic reaction to something. Yes, her air passage was still clear BUT she should go to the hospital. Got instructions to the hospital (wish I had had them in the first place) and headed back to the vehicle in hopes that our group was back. Nope. Started writing a note and they showed up.

Biglers' and Eli took off in the direction of home in one vehicle while Les, Adrianna and I headed to the closest hospital in another. An hour and a half later in emergency we finally saw the doctor and of course by this time the hives, the redness and swelling was settling down. Agreed it was an allergic reaction to something, might flair up again and if it gets bad go to the hospital again. Adrianna was given some Benadryl and sent home.

The poor kid went straight to bed when we got home, she was exhausted. We had been in bed for maybe half an hour and I heard her get up. Checked on her only to see that her face was getting red blotches all over and swollen. Gave her more drugs and gave myself half an hour before PANICKING. Checked on her and she was breaking out in hives again all over her thighs, back and stomach and her face was completely red. She just wanted to sleep but I packed her up and headed back to emergency (this time to our local hospital). Of course by the time we saw the doctor the meds had kicked in and she was pretty well recovered. I kind of felt stupid. I've now been told unless she's having problems breathing or the hives are turning into blisters and chaffing there is no need to head to the hospital. SERIOUSLY? It's just such a scary thing to go through it seems like she should have medical attention ASAP but I guess not.

What ever happened? She's been fine every since. The hives never did come back, however, we're waiting to have some allergy tests done. As the doctors said we may NEVER find out the cause but there is that small chance we could.

What did she eat? Nothing unusual. Possibly seafood was cooked in the same oil and she reacted? Possibly a bug bit her? Possibly she's allergic to Ibuprofen? Possibly something in the park or at the aquarium? A high chance we'll never know but I sure hope we find an answer because I NEVER EVER EVER want to experience that again and I'm sure she doesn't either!

SORRY Bigler family. Sometimes the best thought out plans just don't turn out no matter how hard we try.

No comments: