Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Finding Out Not as Close to Cancer Freedom as Thought is Harsh

November 24th Les and I went to see my gynecologist for my 2 week follow up appointment.  As you know from a previous post we were waiting for a pathology report on my uterus.  Something that really wasn't a concern to my doctor considering I am ONLY 38 years old.  Well, the pure shock he was willing to show informed us the results were a concern.  The results came back telling us I have Endometrial Cancer. How VERY grateful I am that I booked this appointment on a day Les could come. I couldn't have done another one of those appointments on my own.

It truly was a surreal moment.  All I could think was REALLY I'm 38 years old and have already had breast cancer now this but at the same time I wasn't completely surprised (don't get me wrong there has been many tears since that moment).  The doctor was very grateful that he didn't continue to push the direction he wanted to go with the medical condition and grateful that I didn't back down once I knew what I knew needed to be done (that could have become a whole different story which we're not going to think about).  I knew something was wrong with my body. I just didn't know what.  Now we do.

Admittedly we left that appointment shell shocked with lots of unanswered questions and with a to do list of x-rays and blood work.  At this point we don't know the stage or grade but have asked to pick up a copy of the pathology report.  We don't know if the ovaries need to be removed (cancer agency will make that decision), what or if treatment will need to be done, whether I'll need to go to the cancer agency and whether it's a secondary cancer or breast cancer metastasis .  The three things we do know is that a year ago when I started having issues a biopsy of the uterus was taken and the results came back negative, the tumor is gone (the hysterectomy took care of that) and that I'll be seeing my gynecologist every 4 months for the next three years (I still have one more year left of seeing my family doctor every 6 months for breast cancer).

What's even harder then finding out you've got cancer again?  Having to tell family and friends.  This has definitely been harder then the first time (even though technically we think it's gone which is very good).  Once okay but really a 2nd time?!  Brutal.  I love those close to me so much it's SO hard to be a reason why they emotionally hurt I just want to take that pain away. 

November 29th - Les was able to pick up a copy of the pathology report today.  He tried yesterday but my file wasn't to be found and the doctor was in surgery all day, apparently he's known to take files home with him over the weekend.  Hmmm doctor thinking about me over the weekend is this a good thing or a bad thing!?  Anyway, file still wasn't there today but the secretary was able to have a copy faxed to her.  So.... what we now know via the report.  Uterine cancer more specifically endometrial adenocarcinoma (aka endometrial cancer) stage 1A and grade 1 (out of 3), cervix and fallopian tubes were clean.  Looks like we caught it early!  No mention of breast cancer so at this point we are guessing that this is a whole new cancer.  There are still many unanswered questions yet like what happens to the ovaries, other treatment, etc. and it looks like those questions won't be answered until I see the doctor again on the 22nd, unless we're called in sooner.

December 5th - After much thought we finally made the decision to sit down with the kids and explain what's going on.  I actually think they out of anyone were the easiest to talk to.  We've gotten through this once before as a family and we know we can do it again.

December 6th - Have been informed I have an invitation appointment for January 10th at the BC Cancer Agency. 

No comments: