Monday, October 22, 2007

Health Update

WAHOO chemo is done and we're getting ready for the next stage - radiation!!!

Last time we gave an update I was just getting ready to start a new chemo drug (docetaxel) and we weren't sure what to expect. It ended up being better but worse if that makes sense at all?! There was no nausea which was a great blessing however in lieu of that I had excruciating joint paint. The pain I dealt with started off feeling like growing pains but then the pain kept increasing to the point the pain would shoot up and down my legs (mostly knees to ankles sometimes up to my hips and then the last treatment it went to my toes) making it nearly impossible to walk and sleep. The first time the Oncologist prescribed Tylenol 3 with Codeine only to find that didn't even touch the pain so the remaining two treatments I was put on Gabapentin and it worked but I was still in pain just less of it and went through the same side effects. After about 4 days the pain slowly went back to growing pains and then a couple more days later the pain was gone. There were other side effects to deal with ranging from diarrhea, nerve sensitivity with my finger tips and the last treatment it also affected the bottom of my feet, burnt mouth (that's what I call it because I didn't have mouth sores but my mouth felt like it was burnt. I liken it to burning your tongue drinking hot chocolate except it was my whole mouth and would usually take a good 10 days to recover from), nail discoloration, sensitive gums, etc.

The side effects of chemo were rough but I'm still very grateful that it wasn't worse and that always by the 1 1/2 week point I was on the road to recovery and feeling more like myself. Also, we couldn't have done this with so much ease without the help we received from Les's mom. She came and stayed a week with us for each one of these last 3 chemo treatments taking the kids to school, cooking, cleaning, etc. This was especially appreciated on the last treatment as Les was in the middle of his 20+ work day schedule and he was exhausted so it was nice that he could come home and know that everyone and everything was taken care of. So many other people helped as well between taking the kids, driving me to appointments and bringing meals. We've said this many times but we are so blessed to have such wonderful support around us and this journey would not have been nearly as easy had it not been for that.

Radiation. We've met the radiation oncologist and know that there will be 5 1/2 weeks of radiation (28 sessions), originally it was only 4 weeks but because there is going to be reconstructive surgery in the future she wanted to make the daily dosage not as strong so that it's a little easier on my skin. We were at the cancer clinic last Friday where I was officially tattooed (3 little black dots) and are now waiting for the 3 week mark since last chemo and to hear from the radiation department on a start date, which we should know by the end of the week. We have requested a couple different times in the day because of the drive and most importantly because of the kids. If we can have it scheduled late morning then the kids can go to school I can go to my radiation appointment and it won't affect them at all. While at the appointment Friday we did find out that they only book on a weekly basis so every Friday we'll get the appointment times for the following week so there is a high chance we won't have the same appointment time.

Side effects of radiation....... as far as I'm concerned this will be a walk in the park compared to chemo but there are still side effects to deal with. Mostly it'll have to do with my skin and how it reacts to radiation, they'll keep a close eye on my skin and will recommend different creams as the weeks progress, I may develop a cough because a small part of my lung will be radiated in the process, the skin coloration change may be permanent and I'll probably lose my energy (not that I have much, chemo pretty much sucked up a bunch of that). We were told that the loss of energy probably won't happen until about the 4th or 5th week but that it'll carry on about two weeks after radiation before picking up again.

How are we? Tired. It's been 7 months since it all started and there is still a good month and a half to go. The kids have been incredible and are still doing incredible but we can tell they're starting to get tired of hearing 'we can't because mom......' Les looks forward to having days off that aren't filled with doctors appointments (he does get a few of those but not enough) and my body is just tired it's been put through the ringer and doesn't know what's going on. One of the biggest adjustments is that the chemo has caused a chemically induced menopause, I won't go into details but my body is really really confused!! Honestly I worry about the future this has been our lives and conversation for so long now I'm not 100% sure what happens or what I do when this is all done. One day we'll all of a sudden have no more appointments and I often ask myself how does one move one? Life does and will move on but it won't ever be the same as it was before we are no longer the same people.

Again, our hearts are full of gratitude for all that has been done for our family we are blessed to have so many many wonderful people in our lives.

No comments: