Monday, April 28, 2008

It's a Date!

Les and I saw the plastic surgeon back in August in the middle of chemotherapy to find out what the procedure would be for reconstructive surgery. He was very helpful then giving Les and I more than enough information to leave us a little bit overwhelmed with the suggestion to come back about 4 months after radiation was completed. Well...about 4 1/2 months later and we were back to see him!!

He's happy to see that my skin is healing well but he feels that it needs more time, which was no surprise to Les and I. We knew from our previous meeting with him reconstruction wouldn't start until late summer or early fall.

Between me participating in The Weekend to End Breast Cancer and him away we came up with a surgery date of September 24th!!

It's exciting but I am also well aware of the slow process it will be. Reconstruction will consist of first a surgery to insert the expanders, weekly visits to the surgeons office to have small amounts of saline injected until we find that 'perfect' size, waiting 2 to 3 months for the muscle to get used to the implants under it and than surgery again to put the actual implants in and fix up surrounding area. It doesn't end there though...more surgery can follow for the nipple and areola to be placed. Yes, its not as simple as going in for day surgery and walking out with two perfect new boobs!

No comments: