Friday, August 5, 2011

Musician in the Making?

I read the following quote the other day, "If you really want to do something you will find a way, if you don't you will find an excuse".  This hit me like a ton of bricks.  It seems like more often then not that's how things in  my life turn out but many times I don't feel that its because I don't want to but because I lack self-confidence -  in particular to try something new. 

Somewhere along the way over the years I seem to have forgotten a bit of who I am, what I desire and what I'm capable of and recently have been reminded that I can!  Being a mom and wife is very rewarding but if I lack self-confidence to try something new which then becomes the hindrance to accomplish something new/difficult how can I lead by example or try my best and more importantly how can I instill confidence into my children? 

So where exactly am I going with this?  If you know us well enough you know there are plenty of musical instruments in our home played by everyone but me (even though I do have my old clarinet sitting up in the closet from my school years).  The opportunity to play in an adult beginning concert band became known to us and Les instantly knew he would sign up with his new electric double bass and has persisted in husband pressuring me ever since (on a side note my sister Tricia has signed up too playing for the first time the french horn). 

For the longest time I couldn't give him an answer as to why I wouldn't until I finally realized I could give him an answer - lack of self-confidence.  So, finally deciding that this gives me the opportunity to play an instrument that I've always wanted to and prove to myself that I can do it - I WANT to do it.  This is where my previous post Oboe For the First Time comes in.  THAT is the instrument I've chosen to play.  Of course I just had to pick one of the more difficult instruments which has worried me even more but after meeting with Peter Hurd down in Bellingham and playing on some outstanding oboes with him and getting instruction I finally feel like I really can do it.  Probably his words, "you won't have a problem with the oboe" definitely helped.  It's funny how other peoples encouragement can go a long way - we should always be encouraging each other. 

Not my oboe but in case you weren't sure what one looked like!

No comments: